I wrote a book with my college friend Matt Smith. He’s written all kinds of stuff you should check out. He’s a real renaissance man: writer, photographer, curmudgeon…
Our little book, Stay Away From Lions, is a very black comedy about our hometown of Buffalo, NY. There are lots of fun characters long on personality and short on brains. When they stumble into a situation with deadly consequences, things start to get interesting (and, hopefully, hilarious).
What most people find interesting about the book is the way it was written. On a lark, Matt and I decided to start a project where we’d each write one page per day and send to the other. No scripting was allowed. There was never a discussion of where to go next. It was just straight improvisation of and in the written word. Equally interesting, probably ninety-percent of my part was written on my iPhone while commuting.
Hey, you never know.
I write some stuff on business too. Sometimes it gets published. Sometimes it doesn’t. Here are some that did.
- I try to find Facebook a date.
- Walter White Radio
- Neal Young is the new Steve Jobs, or so I argue in RAIN.
- I deftly mix Yankees, Marconi, and nostalgia in a blender for RAIN.
- Destroyed by the death of Harold Ramis. Buoyed by his life.
- How Super Bowl hype belies the nuance of strategy: A Radio Metaphor
- I artfully weave Grandmaster Flash and subcutaneous together in mesmerizing copy for VentureBeat.
- This week was the anniversary of the Chocolate Chip Cookie. I muse about it in Technorati
- Here is my thinking on royalty equality– I know you’re curious.
- So we’re on the Forbes Yacht, Steve, Malcolm and I are having impossibly dry martinis and talking about the Flat Tax
- What is Facebook really worth to you and how much do you hate ads? I discuss in Forbes.
- I did a piece for Technorati about choice killing traditional radio using Jack Kevorkian as a twisted metaphor.
- I talked about some astonishing new technology blending personal data and unbridled creativity for iMedia.
- I welcomed Spotify to the US in TechCrunch.
- Here’s another Technorati piece about Facebook going after music with guns blazing.
- In another iMedia post I analogize the Occupy movement to media revolution.
- After a particularly trying flying experience, I took my shots at the airline industry in iMedia. Touched a nerve.
- Here’s a bit of ‘inside baseball‘ on the Tritondigital.com site.
- What good would a Buffalo kid be without a Rush reference? Not very.
- Music goes global and Dylan goes to China.
- Speaking of which, not only are the times changing, women are changing them. My daughter made me write this.
- I’m not one for hyperbole, but this is the greatest thing you’ll ever read. Ever.
- I don’t know why Billy Crystal bothers me so
- Choking on choice: one email subscription at a time. Read about it in Media Post.